Grand Rapids Housing Commission administrative office'

Frequently Asked Questions

To apply for housing assistance through the Grand Rapids Housing Commission’s programs, please complete and submit our online Preliminary Application form.

The GRHC is not currently accepting new applicants to our Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher program or to our agency-owned family housing developments due to lengthy existing waiting lists.

No, there are waiting lists for all of our agency-owned properties.

You can update your information online via a secure Application Update Form, or by completing and returning a PDF version of the form.

It’s very important that you keep your current mailing address on file with the GRHC. When your name reaches the top of our waiting list, you will be contacted by U.S. Mail at the address we have on file. Changes to family composition and income should also be reported.

Please email our Waiting List Specialist at

The GRHC administers Hope Community, a rapid re-housing program that serves homeless women and their children, however, we are not primarily an emergency housing provider. To get information about emergency housing resources, please contact United Way 2-1-1.

Yes, however, please be aware that our agency-administered family and retirement housing developments are required to serve households currently living within the City of Grand Rapids before we can serve those applying from outside of our area.

We accept employment applications only when we have an open position. Employment opportunities are advertised in local media and on our website—please check the Employment page of our website for updates.

The Grand Rapids Housing Commission administers affordable housing programs for low-income families and is not a primary agency for City code enforcement.

If you are a GRHC Section 8 client, please contact your Section 8 Coordinator. If you rent at a GRHC-administered housing development, please contact your GRHC Housing Management staff.

Renters who do not participate in GRHC housing programs should report possible housing code violations to the City of Grand Rapids Code Compliance Division.