Grand Rapids Housing Commission Resident Services
Empowering Residents to Reach Their Goals
GRHC social work professionals partner with dozens of community partner organizations to bring residents of our housing developments a wide array of supportive services and resources:
- On-site Resident & Family Self-Sufficiency Services Specialists provide counseling that links residents with needed health care, mental health care, educational, job training, employment and transportation services.
- On-site food pantries are offered at all housing developments that serve senior citizens and the disabled.
- On-site Meals on Wheels Dining Centers offer low-cost weekday meal service at three GRHC senior housing communities.
- On-site Grand Valley State University (GVSU) Health Center at Mount Mercy Apartments senior development; staffed by GVSU nursing faculty and students as well as faculty and students from physical therapy, occupational therapy, clinical dietetics and social work disciplines.
- Grand Rapids Public Schools/USDA Summer Meal program at two GRHC family housing developments.
- Parenting classes at family housing developments.
- Literacy classes, computer labs, computer training.
- Health fairs, health education and screening, nutrition classes.
- Recreational and social events, programs for children and youth.
GVSU Kirkhoff College of Nursing Brings Services to GRHC Residents
Watch an overview of an award-winning health partnership that brings students from the Grand Valley State University (GVSU) Kirkhof College of Nursing to GRHC developments; one of these is Adams Park Apartments, a 188-unit building that serves seniors and disabled adults. The nursing students provide community-based health interventions, including regular health screening and health educational events. During 2019 this partnership evolved to include an on-site GVSU Health Center at our Mount Mercy Apartments senior community.
Support Resident Services as a Volunteer!
The GRHC relies on dozens of community organizations and community-minded businesses and volunteers to support low-income households through our resident services efforts.
To all of the organizations, donors and volunteers who support our residents and agency, thank you!